Install problems on Dell Vostro

McCy Ron ron at bouncebk.com
Fri Nov 9 19:24:28 PST 2007

Jerahmy Pocott wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having difficulties getting 6.2 installed on these new Dell
> 'Vostro' systems.
>
> The BIOS is a Phoenix - AwardBIOS and it reports the version as 1.0.3.
>
> With the SATA controller set to IDE mode (default) in the BIOS
> booting FreeBSD
> will hang just before entering sysinstall, booting with ACPI disabled
> stops this
> but then no disk drives are found! I got around this by setting the
> SATA mode to
> RAID in the BIOS (this seems to make the disk appear as SCSI), then
> it doesn't
> crash with ACPI enabled (with ACPI disabled no disks are found still)
> and the
> disk is found.
>
> The system only has USB inputs (8 of them) and with the USB
> Controller set
> to 'High Speed' in the BIOS, the keyboard stops working once
> sysinstall starts
> (though it works in the boot menu), however setting it to 'Full/Low
> Speed' makes
> it work in sysinstall. I probably don't care about using High Speed
> USB devices
> any way, but it would be nice if they could work, but this isn't the
> major issue.
>
> Now finally I can get into sysinstall and partition the disk, but the
> network interface
> is not detected. It says it is an 'Intel 82562V-2' (on board), but I
> see no probes about
> it on booting FreeBSD. Is this interface supported? Any ideas on
> getting it detected?
>
> I feel the ACPI might be a problem? On booting it is reported as
> 'ACPI: Dell FX 09'
>
> Thanks!
> J.

I was able to get 6.2 to install on a Vostro with stock BIOS settings
but couldn't get the system to recognize the network card. network.
Just for reference - Knoppix, Ubuntu, FreesBie live CDs, and a straight
install of Ubuntu 7.04 didn't work either. There is something strange
about this computer.....Windows XP, ofcourse, works.