Ports problem

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Fri Nov 9 12:50:28 PST 2007

Adam J Richardson wrote:
> RW wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:39:28 +0000
>> Adam J Richardson <fatman at crackmonkey.us> wrote:
>>> Hi Desmond,
>>>
>>> When I was faced with this error I did the obvious thing and created
>>> a symlink, then restarted the install.
>>
>> Surely the *obvious* thing was to follow the instructions and read
>> UPDATING.
>
> I didn't read it that way. You're right though. I'll check out
> mergebase.sh, see if it does anything I need.

 From what I can see, ports used to respect the settings of X11BASE and
LOCALBASE, but even though they are still supposed to do that, well, I
can see from my own attempts here on my box, that they don't do that.  I
found a bunch of stuff that either assumed /usr/local, or got the
install path by reading the pkgconfig .pc files.

LONG time back, I showed folks that it was a fairly trivial (two code
lines) thing that was needed to make the X11 stuff go wherever you
wanted it to go, but those two lines were in the 'imake' shell wrapper,
and folks felt that the imake wrapper was holy writ for some reason, and
would not let me make any changes to it.  Pity.