strange error when building cups

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Nov 9 08:12:53 PST 2007

"Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> writes:

> Can some tell me what this means and how to fix it:
>
> ===>   cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_1 depends on shared library: cups.2 -
> not found
> ===>    Verifying install for cups.2 in /usr/ports/print/cups-base
> ===>  cups-base-1.3.3 is forbidden: remote execution of arbitrary code.
> *** Error code 1

It means that installing cups-base-1.3.3 is forbidden, and that the
reason is a security problem allowing for remote execution of
arbitrary code.

To fix it, you can wait for the update to cups-base-1.3.4 to hit the
tree, or update the port yourself, or (if you're willing to leave your
system vulnerable to a remotely-exploitable bug; e.g., if the machine
isn't on the Internet) comment the FORBIDDEN line out of the Makefile.