About Freebsd 7.0 versus 6.3

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 9 01:35:46 PST 2007

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> "Aryeh Friedman" <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Nov 8, 2007 11:55 AM, Expresso Digital ISP <cesar at expresso.com.br> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to know what is the diference between 7.0 and 6.3 and why create a
>>> newest version and after old version.
>>>
>> 6.X is the last of versions meant primarilly for single processing
>> machines (with some after thought payed to multiprocessing).
>>
>> 7.X is the beginning of the versions specifically designed with
>> multiprocessing/cores in mind
>>

> Will you please stop spouting nonsense?
>
> DES

WTF? Dude... 7-CURRENT has several improvements to MP systems, but it's
not meant to be the 'first non-SP designed OS'. Please, get your facts
straight..

There are several other improvements coming with 7-CURRENT though,
mainly dealing with Mac support, some security auditing (I believe), and
other SoC / important developer project work, as well as improved
hardware support for some items like SATA and HD audio I believe. And
yes, there's the big [ULE] scheduler / giant lock removal improvement
which helps MP systems scale better with 7-CURRENT.

But that doesn't mean that the 4BSD scheduler doesn't do MP systems
well. It just sucks at it compared to ULE =P.

-Garrett