Botched X.org upgrade, need help

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 18:50:14 PST 2007

On Nov 8, 2007 12:37 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Andrew Falanga wrote:
>
> > Well, at last I think it's botched.  I really was following the
> directions
> > (I have the script file as UPDATING suggests to prove it :-), but the
> > upgrade didn't work as the X server failed to start after I rebooted.
>  I'm
> > hoping some kind person here will know the answer before I e-mail the
> list
> > mentioned in that section of UPDATING.  Anyway, that's basically, what
> > happened.  I have kdm set to start on bootup and it complained that X
> failed
> > to start.
> >
> > When I got to the point of "portupgrade -aP" in the UPDATING section for
> > X.org 6.9 -> 7.2; I decided to go with that command instead of
> "portupgrade
> > -a" thinking that by now, even for amd64, the packages would be
> available.
> > Perhaps a bad assumption.  Anyway, once that completed, the stats
> reported
> > by portupgrade were disconcerting but I thought that it was ok and
> > continued.  portupgrade reported that only 2 packages were porcessed,
> most
> > were ignored with 50 some skipped and 1 failed.
> >
> > I then proceeded to the mergebase.sh script, ran that and when I was
> > satisfied that all was done as expected, I rebooted my machine.  Well,
> > that's when X failed to start.  So, how would I go about correcting this
> > problem?
>
> You'll at least have to do a portupgrade -a to get all the ports that
> still need to be built.
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

I was wondering about that.  Can I do that although I've completed the
instructions for the X.org update?  That is, I've already run that script
they mention at the end and /usr/X11R6 is now a symlink to /usr/local.
Also, I did a pkg_info | grep xorg and it looks like everything was upgraded
to 7.3 ok.

At any rate, here's what the log file said when X.org tried to load.

X.Org X Server 1.4.0
Release Date: 5 September 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p7 amd64
Current Operating System: FreeBSD sniper 6.2-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD
6.2-RELEASE-p7 #1: Sat Sep  8 13:37:08 MDT 2007
root at sniper:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
amd64
Build Date: 08 November 2007  01:09:22AM

    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Nov  8 19:28:38 2007
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) ServerLayout "X.org Configured"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
(**) |   |-->Device "Card0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
(==) Automatically adding devices
(==) Automatically enabling devices
(WW) The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/" does not exist.
    Entry deleted from font path.
(==) Including the default font path
/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/,/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF,/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/.
(**) FontPath set to:
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,
    /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,
    /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/,
    /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF,
    /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
    /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,
    /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/
(**) RgbPath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
(**) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
(II) Loader magic: 0x67eda0
(II) Module ABI versions:
    X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.3
    X.Org Video Driver: 2.0
    X.Org XInput driver : 2.0
    X.Org Server Extension : 0.3
    X.Org Font Renderer : 0.5
(II) Loader running on freebsd
(II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module pcidata
(II) UnloadModule: "pcidata"
(EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not exist, 0)

Fatal server error:
Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...

Andy