About Freebsd 7.0 versus 6.3

Mario Lobo mario.lobo at ipad.com.br
Thu Nov 8 09:48:24 PST 2007

On Thursday 08 November 2007, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2007 11:55 AM, Expresso Digital ISP <cesar at expresso.com.br> wrote:
> > Hi, my name is Cesar.
> >
> > I'd like to know what is the diference between 7.0 and 6.3 and why create
> > a newest version and after old version.
>
> 6.X is the last of versions meant primarilly for single processing
> machines (with some after thought payed to multiprocessing).
>
> 7.X is the beginning of the versions specifically designed with
> multiprocessing/cores in mind
>
> Under the hood many things have been changed improved in 7.... the
> offical recommendation is 6.3 is for people who can *NOT* upgrade to 7
> for whatever reason and everyone else should use 7... note as far most
> people can tell there is no "easy" way to upgrade to 7 if you have 6
> installed so you should start with 7

Concerning this, I've "cvsuping" to 6-CURRENT on a dual-core desktop. The
system is running well, but I'd really like to move up to 7. Can it be done
through cvsup from 6.2-STABLE to 7-CURRENT or is it "wiser" to install from
scratch? any upgrade gotchas/procedure ? I searched the web and the only
reference I found was:

http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/upgrade/freebsd-upgrade-6x-7x.txt

which states:

"ATTENTION: THIS UPGRADE PROCEDURE MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU AS YOUR
ENVIRONMENT IS DIFFERENT. ALSO, THIS UPGRADE PROCEDURES MIGHT DESTROY
YOUR SYSTEM AND YOU POTENTIALLY MIGHT LOOSE DATA. NO WARRANTY AT ALL.
USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!"

The procedure is far from a regular source upgrade (like the one noted in
UPDATING from 5x -> 6x), hence, my doubts.

Also, concerning this statement

> 7.X is the beginning of the versions specifically designed with
> multiprocessing/cores in mind

Does this mean that 6.x will perform better on single cpu systems?

--
Mario Lobo
Segurança de Redes - Desenvolvimento e Análise