FreeBSD questions

Andy Greenwood greenwood.andy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 07:55:33 PST 2007

Si Thu wrote:
> Dear freeBSD,
>

> I am running FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE on my staging server and having one problem
> about FFmpeg.
>
> I have read a lot of documentation and google on the web to get the solution
> for how to customize installation for ffmpeg utility. Normally, freeBSD
> provides s lot of packages and ports that can be covered the average
> requirements.
>

> On my server, I have installed ffmpeg from the provided port with the
> command "make install clean". After installation, I am able to encode the
> input files from some location of server such "usr/local/bin" and cannot
> implement with PHP(I used exec() command). FFmpeg-php is a object oriented
> API for PHP and ffmpeg implementation. I was not able to install that API on
> freeBSD.
>

> And there are some other configuration such "--enable-shared --enable-gpl"
> and other libraries they can use in ffmpeg by configuration with ./configure
> command. But I was not able to find how to configure before install ffmpeg.
> If you would be able to give me a solution that would be great. I will
> really appreciate.

Don't know about ffmpeg-php or anything, as I've never used them.
However, you could do a few different things to change the configure
arguments. You could just edit the Makefile in the port's directory, or
you could define some make variables either through /etc/make.conf or by
defining them on the command line like

make -DWITH_SWSCALER

which will do the same thing as configure --enable-swscaler. Look
through the Makefile for the defaults (both switches you mentioned are
on by default in my ports tree) and all availible switches. Make syntax
is simple enough, so you should be able to figure it out without much
trouble. Also, you might want to run make configure instead of make
install or even just make, since that will run the configure script and
then stop, so you can look over the output and adjust as necessary
before continuing the build.