SATA DVD speed's too slow

Joshua Isom jrisom at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 22:29:30 PST 2007

I currently have an SATA DVD-RW drive for my computer.  I have to boot
using a CURRENT kernel to get the drive recognized, and dmesg lists it
as running at 3.3MB/s.  Running mplayer -dumpstream gets around 3 megs
a second.  Copying off a data dvd gets about the same.  But I recall
reading about playing a dvd before trying to get the data off of it
when using dd, and it seems to work.  But the odd part is, it can get
up to 20 megabytes a second.  Does anyone know how to get the higher
speeds all the time?