Help Failing Disk Problem

James jamesh at lanl.gov
Mon Nov 5 12:20:33 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 11:53 -0800, Sean Murphy wrote:

> I have a FreeBSD 6.2 Release box with a single ide that has user data
> and the FreeBSD OS on a hard disk that is failing.  I need advice on the
> best way to clone the entire disk (or at least the data) onto a larger
> ide disk drive, then pull the failing disk and replace it with the
> clone.  What is the best way in FreeBSD to do that?
>
> Thanks

The best way is to do it regularly before the hard drive is failing.

Given that you haven't done that, there're a few methods. I'm a big fan
of rsync,  which is the nectar of the gods, but a lot of folks seem to
prefer dd for this kind of thing. There was a thread not  long ago about
how best to duplicate a drive.

James