Configure to use WITH_DEBUG

White Hat pigskin_referee at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 06:18:26 PST 2007

> > I have a system that I am setting up that will only be used to test programs.
> > I therefore want all programs built with debug code. To facilitate that task, I
> > was wondering if I could put a global flag in the '/etc/make.conf' file.
> > Assuming that would work, which of these is the better solution.
> >
> > 1) WITH_DEBUG
> > 2) WITH_DEBUG=1
> > 3) WITH_DEBUG=true
> > 4) -DWITH_DEBUG
> >
> > If there is a better solution, I would appreciate hearing about it.
>
> #2 and #3 will work.
> The key is that the variable is set, not what it's set to. As a joke,
> you can do WITH_DEBUG=no in make.conf, and confuse the hell out of other
> sysadmins.
>
> Note that there may be additional port-specific debugging that would
> not be turned on by the global WITH_DEBUG, but you'll have to handle
> that on a port-by-port basis.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> http://www.potentialtech.com

Interesting. Now if I want to turn DEBUG off for a particular port, would I use:

1)    WITH_DEBUG
2)    WITH_DEBUG=
3)    WITH_DEBUG=""

One other question. From what I have been reading, the use of 'WITH_DEBUG' also prevents the stripping of debug code when the program is installed. Is that correct, or do I have to use another flag to insure that debug code is not stripped from the installed program?

 Thanks again!