portupgrade questions

Aryeh M. Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 02:34:19 PST 2007

Donovan R. Palmer wrote:
>> While portsupgrade does work on packages it is usually better to do
>> stuff from ports... even though this may be time consuming you may want
>> to deinstall every last package you have installed then select a few
>> "high level" ports to install (i.e. enough to drag in almost everything
>> you need)... in general the install cycle I use is:
>>
>> 1. Install a top-level port (making any build changes needed if build
>> fails [*PLEASE* submit a pr for any of these])
>> 2. Do a csup (or cvsup on older releases) to make sure there is nothing
>> newer for the installed ports
>> 3. Do a portupgrade -a
>> 4. If there are more top-level ports goto to step 1
>
> Very interesting.  Without sounding too daft, how do I determine what
> a "high level" port is?  Thanks!

Depends on what you use the machine for... for example for the most part
mine are:

1. gnome-office (normally do xorg and gnome2 as seperate builds though)
2. vlc video player
3. rythmbox mp3 player
4. Java 1.6
5. gimp-shop
6. apache 2+mysql+php5
7. electricsheep
8. Deluge torrent client

and as soon the port team adds them:

1. thistest
2. filebuilder

(sorry for the self promotion, but I wrote both of these ;-))

--
Aryeh M. Friedman
Developer, not business friendly