portupgrade questions

Aryeh M. Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 02:15:18 PST 2007

> So how do I fix this? Is there a HOW-TO or tutorial on a webpage out
> there that will help me learn how to fix these things?  The handbook
> makes no mention of how to resolve these issues... unless I missed
> something?

While portsupgrade does work on packages it is usually better to do
stuff from ports... even though this may be time consuming you may want
to deinstall every last package you have installed then select a few
"high level" ports to install (i.e. enough to drag in almost everything
you need)... in general the install cycle I use is:

1. Install a top-level port (making any build changes needed if build
fails [*PLEASE* submit a pr for any of these])
2. Do a csup (or cvsup on older releases) to make sure there is nothing
newer for the installed ports
3. Do a portupgrade -a
4. If there are more top-level ports goto to step 1

--
Aryeh M. Friedman
Developer, no business friendly