ipv6 confusion

Byung-Hee HWANG bh at izb.knu.ac.kr
Mon Nov 5 01:49:31 PST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 03:16 -0500, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> I want to set my machine up to be on both IPv4 and IPv6.   I have read
> the stuff on 6over4 and such and still a little confused on a few things:
>
> 1. The machine I want to do the tunneling on is behind a NAT'ed firewall
> how do I reliabelly obtain the external IP of the firewall (dhcp
> assigned from cable company)?
>
> 2. If the machine I want to do the tunneling with is the DMZ host for
> the above FW do I need to add anything special to the FW's routing tables?
>
> 3. I am a little confused on how to pick the other end of the tunnel and
> how do I configure it once the first 2 items are solved?... The
> confusion comes from how is an arbitary (by me [with in the restrictions
> in stf(4)]) selected IPv6 IP supposed to be routable when IPv4 forces
> me to use the one assigned to me by my upstream router?

AFAIK, IPv6 setup is much more difficult than IPv4 setup. Still i don't
know well what IPv6 is. Let's go easy.. you need some practice with 6to4
setup. The 6to4 setup is very simple if you have the native IPv4
address(es). Then you can try the 6over4 (more difficult than 6to4) with
gif(4).

At first, here is good reference for 6to4 setup:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html

As fas as i can tell, you need practice and practice and practice, one
by one, then you can obtain what you want..

Sincerely,

--
$LUG: projects/mp3/the-godfather,v 1.6 2007/10/11 09:37:50 bh Exp $