newby can't set up dvd and audio cd to play

neal kneel.pardoe at virgin.net
Sun Nov 4 10:51:10 PST 2007

Hello list,

I am in the process of migrating to using FreeBSD (from
Linux, which I would like to leave entirely behind, how
does one make sure they don't install something that
requires the Linux compatibility packages?

I have a working BSD system installed using DesktopBSD;

[pineal at localhost /usr/home/pineal]$ uname -v
FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #0: Mon Jul 23 21:48:53 CEST 2007

I am using this on one partition of one of my drives. I have
a second 40gb drive to do a new install to to take over
when I have finished playing and discovering on this
current setup.

The problem I have is that I cannot get dvds to play. I have
read the FAQ and the Handbook, I made the changes suggested
i.e. adding devices, but still to no avail. What actually
happens when I play a dvd is that the dvd will play
sometimes for about 20 secs then I get an error dialog
saying either I do not have sufficient rights or the dvd is
empty. Trying to play a music cd is similarly wierd. On
play the first track may play and if it does will last for
about 20 secs, sometimes a track will not play at all and
eventually skip to the next, but I never seem to get any
longer than about 20 secs?

I have a fresh install of FreeBSD 6.2 STABLE installed on my
second drive waiting to hopefully set up correctly. I have
done no updates at all at this point. Could someone please
give me some guidance with this?

neal.