Ports problem

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at embarqmail.com
Sun Nov 4 05:30:17 PST 2007

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 12:30:07 +0000
Desmond Chapman <que_deseja at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
> I am having multiple problems with the ports collection
>
> # cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
> # make install clean

  [ build log removed for brevity ]

> ===>   Registering installation for portupgrade-2.3.1,2
> ===>  Cleaning for portupgrade-2.3.1,2
> # portsdb -Uu
> portsdb: Command not found.

>From the Handbook section 4.5.2 "Installing Ports":

  Note: Some shells keep a cache of the commands that are available in
  the directories listed in the PATH environment variable, to speed up
  lookup operations for the executable file of these commands. If you
  are using one of these shells, you might have to use the rehash
  command after installing a port, before the newly installed commands
  can be used. This command will work for shells like tcsh. Use the hash
  -r command for shells like sh. Look at the documentation for your
  shell for more information.

If you are using root's default shell, then "rehash" is probably what
you want.

> # cd kdenetwork3
> # make

   [ Log detail omitted ]

> ===>   qt-copy-3.3.8_6 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/xorg/libraries - not found
> ===>    Verifying install for /usr/local/libdata/xorg/libraries in /usr/ports/x11/xorg-libraries

The following is probably causing the multiple problems you are seeing:

> /usr/X11R6 exists, but it is not a symlink. Installation cannot proceed.
> This looks like an incompletely removed old version of X.  In the current version, /usr/X11R6 must be a symlink if it exists at all.Please read /usr/ports/UPDATING (entry of 20070519) for the procedure to upgrade X.org related ports.*** Error code 1

  [ More log detail omitted ]

> I have done the cvsup, csup, portsnap, and followed the instructions ion /usr/ports/UPDATING.
> I get thses same results each time.
>

> How do i fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

It appears that you missed the /usr/ports/UPDATING (entry of
20070519) or forgot to run the script.  There is a script (mergebase.sh)
to run which creates the symlink for /usr/X11R6 (as well as other
things). It might be a good idea to review that UPDATING entry and see
if there are other things that might apply.

HTH,

Randy