Which version with a Xeon X3210

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun Nov 4 03:00:42 PST 2007

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 10:31:33AM +0000, Chris Hastie wrote:
> I've just ordered a new server based on the Intel Xeon X3210. This is a
> quad core processor supporting the Intel 64 (formerly known as Intel®
> EM64T, according to the flyer) instruction set.
>
> I plan to install FreeBSD 6.2 on it, but I'm not clear whether I should
> be using the AMD64 version or the x86 version.

Either version should work.  If you intend to use 4GB (or more) of RAM, then
the AMD64 version will work better by allowing you to actually use all of that
memory.  Otherwise you might as well use the i386 version for better
compatibility with binary-only programs/codecs/drivers (mainly affects
various multimedia codecs which is probably not very important for a server
though.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson