5.2.1 to 6.2 Migration.

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Nov 3 19:08:04 PDT 2007

Kevin Kinsey <kdk at daleco.biz> writes:

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>>> Yes.

>>> I've done 5.x to 6.x upgrades via ssh.  It is possible.
>>>
>>> In the handbook, you will see mentions of booting into single user mode
>>> and I can tell you that it is not required.
>>
>> It's a good safety precaution; if your updated kernel won't boot, you
>> will need to reinstall most of the system.
>
> That sounds a tad alarmist; if the new kernel won't boot, you'll
> have to be at (or have someone at) the console who can boot
> "kernel.old" (I stand open for correction, but last time I did
> it, 'twas that way).  And, possibly, that person (you?) will
> also have to be able to do some other magic.
>
> But the phrase "reinstall most of the system" doesn't, at
> the very least, *sound* like the BSD Way(tm).  Granted,
> sometimes it's quicker --- I know that's why it's used so
> often on that "Other System" .... ;-)

If you have reinstalled a userland that depends on a kernel that
doesn't boot, you are quite likely to be in trouble.

The "BSD way" does not necessarily involve easy recovery from making
up procedures that haven't been worked out or tested by the release
engineers.  In fact, I don't think any operating system guarantees
that you will have an easy time after making up your own upgrade
procedures.