reverse grep

deeptech71 at gmail.com deeptech71 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 17:13:58 PDT 2007

How is it possible to select lines that do NOT match a specific pattern?

For example, I'm connecting to 192.168.123.254 via telnet (port 23), and
do tcpdump -nli rl0. This cyclic traffic, becuase when tcpdump outputs
something, the system sends me some packets, which generates output in
tcpdump, and vice versa. I want to filter out packets of telnet access
to the FreeBSD machine, that is, something like:

     tcpdump -nli rl0 | grep --non-matching-lines 192.168.123.254.23