pkgdb.db: unexpected file type or format

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Nov 2 14:22:50 PDT 2007

Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> Yesterday I moved from 6.2-RELENG to 7-RELENG and everything worked fine
> (though I do have a few questions about mergemaster that I'll ask later).
>
> As suggested on this list, I started to rebuild all of my ports.
>
> I started  with
>
>   portupgrade -f '<2007-11-01 12:00'
>
> and all seemed to go well until I realized that I should have added
> "--batch" to that.  So I interrupted the process and restarted with
>

>   portupgrade -f --batch '<2007-11-01 12:00'
>
> This has been running apparently just fine overnight, but then I noticed
> that after building each port, they didn't get installed because I was
> getting an error like
>
>  /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db: unexpected file type or format -- Invalid argument
>
> So I stopped things again and tried to fix pkgdb.db
>
> $ sudo pkgdb -v -F
> --->  Checking the package registry database
> /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db: unexpected file type or format -- Invalid argument
> $ sudo file /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db
> /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db: Berkeley DB 1.85 (Hash, version 2, native byte-order)
>
> What should I do now.  I suppose that my problem was with interrupting
> the portupgrade the first time 'round.  But is there anything I can do
> to fix this.

I've seen no responses, is this still a problem?
First off, what does `file /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db` report?

And have you looked at pkgdb(5)?  I'm only guessing, but
maybe `pkgdb -aF` for starters, and maybe you'll have to
do `pkgdb -u`.  YMMV, and all that.

Kevin Kinsey
--
We totally deny the allegations, and
we're trying to identify the allegators.