Xorg and WSXGA]

punosevac at math.arizona.edu punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Fri Nov 2 11:55:08 PDT 2007

Subject: Re: Xorg and WSXGA
From:    punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Date:    Fri, November 2, 2007 11:38 am
To:      cjclark at alum.mit.edu

> On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 07:49:42AM -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:
monitor. Works great except I'm having problems getting it to go
widescreen and use the full display area.

>> > It doesn't really give me any useful additional information
>> > that I notice. I still don't understand why it refuses to go for
1680x1050. The log is attached.

>> Could you attach your xorg.conf?  It looks like there is a combination of
>> problems keeping it from doing 1680x1050.
>
> I've tried a few things, but right now, running on defaults and
> auto-generated configuration.
> --
> Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclark at alum.mit.edu
> _

Are you running 7.0 or 6.2 ? My Xorg installed on the top of 7.0 kept
crashing my old DeLL dimension Pentium III so much so that I went back to
6.2.

In your case sounds like the frequency and the colour depth of the monitor
picked by Xorg -config are incompatible with the resolution that you want
to use. Try playing manually with xorg.conf file or you can try to use the
toll xorgconfig which is purely text based to create the xorg.conf file.

In the past I was able to use beautifully xorgcfg tool (probably came from
Xfree86's tool xf86cfg)  but my computer kept complaining that this time
does not recognize the command.
Any how you also have to read xorg.#.log files very carefully as they are
the key to resolve your problems.
Good Luck
Predrag