imap-uw and sasl

Michael Grant mg-fbsd3 at grant.org
Fri Nov 2 01:37:45 PDT 2007

On 11/1/07, Thomas Abthorpe <tabthorpe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Try adding the following you /etc/make.conf
>
> WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT=yes # imap-uw
> WITH_ENTOURAGE_BRAIN_DAMAGE=yes # imap-uw
>

> On 01/11/2007, Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3 at grant.org> wrote:
> > I just installed imap-uw and saslauthd on my box.  I'm having trouble
> > getting it to accept plain text logins (in fact any logins at all).
> > I'm trying to authenticate people in the passwd file.
> >
> > I get the following in the maillog:
> >
> > Nov  1 11:14:53 myhost ipop3d[97953]: Unexpected client disconnect,
> > while reading line user=??? host=example.com [10.20.30.40]
> >
> > Yes, the user=??? is just like that with the question marks.  I am
> > definitely sending the username.
> >
> > I'm thinking it might be a sasl problem or something I've not
> > configured with saslauthd but I don't see it.
> >
> > I see these messages in /var/log/messages but they do not seem
> > correlated with the time of the I tried to login (and there's many
> > fewer of them):
> >
> > Nov  1 11:00:32 charm ipop3d[87124]: Login failed user=myname
> > auth=myname host=example.com [10.20.30.40]
> >

> > Ideas?  Suggestions where to look for more error messages?
> >
> > Michael Grant

At first I thought that this couldn't possibly have anything to it,
but after some experimentation, I discovered that things worked if I
was using SSL.

I tried this and did a make clean and reinstalled but it didn't change anything.

I also tried selecting "Allow plain text passwords and SSL" on the
menu during the make process of imap-uw.  No, still the same behavior.

I think I'm going to give up and force everyone to use SSL which
probably isn't a bad thing.

However, it sure would have been nice if the error imap-uw generated
was a little more revealing.  Especially when the user connected
without SSL, it could have returned a very explicit error message like
"Clear connections no longer supported, use port 995 with SSL".

Thanks for the response, it did help.

Michael Grant