trouble with samba

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Thu May 31 02:07:56 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 20:53:24 Gerard wrote:
> On Wednesday May 30, 2007 at 09:20:10 (PM) Jonathan Horne wrote:
> > i recently rebuilt my system after the xorg 7.2 merge.  i built samba3
> > from ports, and loaded my same config from backup.  however, now, when
> > the system starts, i get:
> >
> > [root at athena ~]# tail /var/log/messages
> > May 30 20:09:41 athena kernel: pid 2081 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6
> > May 30 20:09:41 athena kernel: pid 2082 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6
> > May 30 20:09:41 athena kernel: pid 2083 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6
> > May 30 20:09:41 athena kernel: pid 2084 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6
> > May 30 20:09:41 athena kernel: pid 2085 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6
> > May 30 20:09:41 athena kernel: pid 2086 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6
> > May 30 20:09:41 athena kernel: pid 2087 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6
> > May 30 20:09:41 athena kernel: pid 2088 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6
> > May 30 20:09:41 athena kernel: pid 2089 (smbd), uid 0: exited on signal 6
> >
> > and of course, samba doesnt work.  but, if i restart samba, it works
> > fine.  i have no idea where to start on this one, does anyone have any
> > ideas as to why it would not work right when its started from rc.conf,
> > but if i restart it by hand, its fine?
> >
> > i am currently running samba-3.0.25,1.  started from rc.conf like with
> > samba_enable="YES".
>
> I had the same problem; however, after doing a cold reboot, the problem
> went away. I have no idea why.

if i restart it by hand, it seems to stay up until i shut the whole system
down.  for the sake of trying, i built another system from scratch (minimal
freebsd load), mounted my ports via nfs (from the computer thats having
problems, actually), and built samba3 from ports for this other computer.
copied over the config, smapasswd added myself, and rebooted the computer.
the error does not occur.

so i figured i would just pkg_delete the samba on the problem computer and
rebuild it again from ports... no joy.  after i got it built and config'd
again, same thing on reboot.  the problem computer is a full desktop machine,
with xorg 7.2 (unlike my other test machine, which only has minimal install).
could there be something underlying from xorg 7.2 thats affecting the way
samba starts at boot time, but doesnt affect if it started by hand?  after
the xorg 7.2 merge, im sure weve all noticed the giant amount of ports cvs
traffic, and ive even watched several of my apps go from broken to working
again over the past few days, surely due to the changes related to /usr/X11R6
to /usr/local/.

/head scratching
--
Jonathan Horne