enable fetchmail system-wide mode

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Thu May 31 00:15:05 UTC 2007

On Wednesday May 30, 2007 at 06:51:26 (PM) Bob wrote:

> I want to run fetchmail enabled for system wide mode.
> The command line cmd fetchmail -q issued from user root gets meaningless
> error msg.
> Reviewing /usr/local/etc/rc.d/fetchmail has comments talking about system
> wide mode running under user fetchmail.
> How does the system admin control fetchmail when user fetchmail needs
> password to logon and no where is password given during install.
>
> Also /usr/local/etc/fetchmailrc which is suppose to be the config file is
> empty. Even fetchmailrc.sample is empty.
>
> The port pkg-message file is absent so there is no information describing
> how to configure fetchmail in system-wide mode or individual user mode.
> These are unique run modes to freebsd and are not covered in the fetchmail
> manual. The port pkg-message file should be created with instructions about
> how to configure it.
>
> Before in 4.11 through 5.4 I started fetchmail using
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/fetchmail.sh and /root/,fetchmailrc and had root admin
> control of fetchmail. How do I achieve admin control now that fetchmail has
> been converted to use rc.conf fetchmail_enable="YES" to start at boot time?

Did you try 'man fetchmail'? That should give you the required
configuration information. As you wrote, having the proper notation in
the '/etc/rc.conf' file will start 'fetchmail' upon boot-up, assuming
that there does exist a properly configured 'fetchmailrc' file. You
might also want to investigate the '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/fetchmail' file.
I had to slightly modify it to work the way I wanted on my system. I
would suggest that you do that 'AFTER' you have gotten it to relatively
the way you want it to.

--
Gerard

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "

	Frank Sinatra