NFS tuning on FreeBSD

Christopher Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Tue May 29 23:21:55 UTC 2007

Devin Heckman wrote:
[snip]

> Does anyone have any experience tuning NFS mounts on FreeBSD machines?

Not sure if you have tried this but the first thing that I try when
dealing with NFS is using tcp mounts rather than udp. Most of the black
magic of NFS tuning seems to center around compensating for lost udp
fragments on the network. I discovered TCP mounts when I was attempting
to update a box laptop to the latest FreeBSD -STABLE. The laptop had no
built in ethernet so I was stuck using an NE2000 clone. I didn't realize
that under heavy use it would lose packets. This would lead the build
process to stall in the middle. Changing from UDP to TCP makes it the
kernel's responsibility to track down lost fragments and the kernel does
a much better job of it.

-- Chris

--
       __o          "All I was doing was trying to get home from work."
     _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks