FreeBSD 6.2 on Dell PowerEdge SC440

Lars Kristiansen lars+lister.freebsd at adventuras.no
Tue May 29 16:15:57 UTC 2007

--On Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:16:27 -0400 Rob <r17fbsd at xxiii.com> wrote:

> Lars Kristiansen wrote:
>> Dominik Zalewski skrev:
>>> I'm thinking of buying Dell PowerEdge SC440 for a small webserver.
>>> Anyone using this server with FreeBSD 6.2 -release ? Any issues? Some
>>
>> 6.2-release does not have a driver for the built-in network interface.
>> So you probarly want to order it with extra gigabit nic.
>
> I have last year's model, the SC430.  I don't know what they changed but
> the 440's specs still say "integrated Boardcom gigabit NIC".  The bge
> driver in 6.x has worked just fine for me.  You do need to either
> custom-compile it in, or load it at boot time.  See the man pages:

Afaik, this particulare integrated nic might be supported in freebsd-stable
but not yet in -release.
I did however order a broadcom extra nic with it, which worked "out of the
box".
Here is some output from 'pciconf -lv', first the pci-card, then the
integrated.

bge0 at pci4:0:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x165914e4 chip=0x165914e4 rev=0x21
hdr=0x00    vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
    device   = 'BCM5750A1 NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet
none1 at pci5:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x01df1028 chip=0x167a14e4 rev=0x02
hdr=0x00    vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
    device   = 'BCM5754 Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet

Regards,
 Lars