Su newbie question

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue May 29 01:56:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 12:58:51PM -0400, Ian Lord wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A real dumb question today : I’ve always been the only administrator of
> servers I installed so I never searched too much on the topic

> A new employee has joined the team and he will need to administer the
> servers (compile ports, etc)
>
> Usually, I do a su when I need to do these tasks, so I wonder if everybody
> needs to know that password or if he could have his own password to su ?

It is possible for there to be more than one account that is root.
Just make it have UID 0 and GID 0.  Use vipw to do that.  It is common
to make an R id as root for a person.  - Say the regular id is joe
then you might make an Rjoe account with UID and GID of 0.

But that may not be the best way.   You really don't want to spread
root accounts around a lot.   One alternative might be setting up
sudo to allow the specific things that this other person needs to do.

////jerry