Nvidia doesn't start on cryptic errors

Vittorio De Martino vittorio at de-martino.it
Mon May 28 18:03:54 UTC 2007

Il Monday 28 May 2007 14:51:04 John Nielsen ha scritto:
> On Monday 28 May 2007 11:18:07 Vittorio De Martino wrote:
> > On my newly bought HP pavillion 6366 notebook with freebsd 6.2 - p4 and
> > one of the latest portsnap I have an nvidia go 7400 card, *** fully ***
> > supported by the nvidia driver according to the docs.
> >
> > I followed the minimal configuration by nvidia-xconfig and just taiored
> > the language for the keyboard....BUT
> >   startx fails to load X and in the log file I find I find the below
> > reported errors.
> >
> > Being a beginner I find myself somewhat disorientated by these errors
> > that I couldn't find surfing the net.
> >
> > (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please
> > ensure (EE) NVIDIA(0):     that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this
> > system, and (EE) NVIDIA(0):     that the NVIDIA device files have been
> > created properly. (EE) NVIDIA(0):     Please consult the NVIDIA README
> > for details.
> > (EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
>
> Not too cryptic. Make sure that the nvidia kernel module is loaded and try
> again. To verify, type "kldstat". If nvidia.ko is not listed, type "kldload
> nvidia". To load it automatically on boot (which is the only way for it to
> load successfully), add a line like this to /boot/loader.conf:
>
> nvidia_load="YES"
>
> Then reboot.

Actually the nvidia.ko mdule was and is loaded
hpbsd# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   24 0xc0400000 5b33d8   kernel
 4    3 0xc0a7e000 1e058    linux.ko
 5    1 0xc0a9d000 435c     acpi_video.ko
 6    3 0xc0aa2000 61ba0    acpi.ko
 7    1 0xc0b04000 6d4de0   nvidia.ko
 8    1 0xc11d9000 aed4     cpufreq.ko
 9    1 0xc11e4000 4a2c     acpi_ibm.ko
15    1 0xc7245000 2000     rtc.ko

I was able to eliminate the following error
--------------------
(II) LoadModule: "wfb"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libwfb.so
dlopen: Shared object "librpcsvc.so.2" not found, required by "libwfb.so"
(EE) Failed to load /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libwfb.so
------------------
because the required librpcsvc.so.2 has become  (and is presente as)
librpcsvc.so.3. Therefore I linked
ln -s librpcsvc.so.3 librpcsvc.so.2

That's ok now BUT

NVIDIA: could not open the device /dev/nvidiactl

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly.
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.

still something incorrect prevents startx to fire X.
The problems seems to be /dev/nvidiactl!

Please help - Vittorio