Computer hangs on reboot

Andrey Shuvikov mr.hyro at gmail.com
Mon May 28 17:23:58 UTC 2007

Hi,

I posted this question originally to freebsd-acpi list but without
much luck. Besides I'm not sure it's ACPI problem.

I have a computer with SIS630E-based PCChips motherboard (M787CL+) and
FreeBSD 6.2 (lately I upgraded to RELENG_6, but it didn't help). The
problem is that when I try to reboot it just hangs. The last line I
see on the screen is "Rebooting...", then some vertical lines move
across the screen (maybe video mode switch or something like that),
and that's it.

I tried to add some debug output to cpu_reset_real() code:

 printf("cpu_reset_real(): before keyboard reset\n");
 outb(IO_KBD + 4, 0xFE);
 printf("cpu_reset_real(): after keyboard reset\n");

Then the last two lines I see on the screen when I try to reboot are:

cpu_reset_real(): before keyboard reset

Also I tried to set BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET option but nothing changed
(except I didn't see these debugging messages, obviously).

The dmesg is at http://mysite.verizon.net/mr_hyro/acpi/dmesg.txt

Booting with ACPI disabled doesn't help, neither does setting
hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot and hw.acpi.handle_reboot to 1 (either one
or both).

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Thank you,
Andrey