Backup advice

Jason Lixfeld jason+lists.freebsd-questions at lixfeld.ca
Thu May 24 02:03:44 UTC 2007

On 23-May-07, at 9:23 PM, Doug Hardie wrote:

> The criteria for selecting a backup approach is not the backup
> methodology but the restore methodology.

Excellent point.

Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question, so let me try it this way
instead:

I'm looking for a backup solution that I can rely on in the event I
have a catastrophic server failure.  Ideally this backup would look
and act much like a clone of the production system.  In the worse
case, I'd re-format the server array and copy the clone back to the
server, setup the boot blocks, and that would be it.

Ideally this clone should be verifiable, meaning I should be able to
verify it's integrity so that it's not going to let me down if I need
it.

I'm thinking external USB hard drive of at least equal size to the
server array size as far as hardware goes, but I'm lost as far as
software goes.

Any advice appreciated.