what's up with portsnap?

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Wed May 23 12:00:31 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 06:03:18 r17fbsd at xxiii.com wrote:
> At 11:52 PM 5/22/2007, you wrote:
> >r17fbsd at xxiii.com wrote:
> > > # portsnap fetch
> > > Latest snapshot on server is older than what we already have!
> >
> >That's really strange.  And it doesn't happen for me.
> >Is it possible that you have a misbehaving proxy which is caching
> >a month-old snapshot?  Colin Percival
>
> Oh, crap.  The god of portsnap and things FBSD has spoken and said
> I'm a dipshit.  And of course he's right  ;)
>
> Yeah, it goes through squid.... cause IIRC you suggested it.  It
> speeds up multi-machine updates a bunch.  But when they all started
> doing the same thing, I figured it was something on the
> servers.  I've been snapping for over a year, and it's always worked
> great through squid.  Don't know what changed, but I gave squid a
> re-init, and portsnap is fetching 6200 patches.  I should probably
> just blow out ports and start from scratch at this point.
>
> Thanks, Colin!
>
>     -RW

btw RW, you might take a look at using csup for maintaining your ports instead
of portsnap.  when you clear your ports directory and start over, you will
notice that portsnap takes quite a while to even start unpacking the snapshot
(at least it does on my computer).  however, with csup doing it, the
population of the ports directory start almost immediately.  to me it just
feels like it gets done a lot quicker.  if you are familiar with csup, you
might have already seen the ports-supfile in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/.
give it a try and see what you think, you might be pleasantly surprised!
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org
freebsd at dfwlp.com