[FreeBSD 7.0-CUR/gcc 4.2/portsnap]: portsnap fetch reports illegal portsnap tag!

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue May 22 19:19:22 UTC 2007

Hello out here,
since I upgrade my box with the lates FreeBSD 7.0-CUR/AMD64 and gcc 4.2,
I do not have access to ports via portsnap anymore. Portsnap stops
running with this error:

# portsnap fetch update
Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap1.FreeBSD.org... Illegal instruction
invalid snapshot tag.
Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap2.FreeBSD.org... Illegal instruction
invalid snapshot tag.
Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap3.FreeBSD.org... Illegal instruction
invalid snapshot tag.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

I removed everything what's in /var/db/portsnap/, but this doesn't help,
it seems a checksum isn't calculated correctly. Alternatively I used cvsup.

Is there anything wrong? I remember myself of issues with OpenSSL and
gcc 4.2, so due to the calculation of the checksum this might cause the
error.

Regards,
Oliver