freebsd broken after kernel re-compile.

Yanko Sanchez y at rem7.cc
Tue May 22 00:44:10 UTC 2007

@youshi10:
yeah, I'm aware that MacOSX supports for unix, but at the time that we
transfered the data to the hdd we didn't know which server was gonna
be running the hdd... Fat32 was the only FS that we know would be
compatible with any OS (but we didn't know of the size limit) so if
the server had been a Windows 2003 server, I don't think I would have
had any chance of opening that FS (unless 3rd party software if there
is any)

Anyways, here is the info that Reid asked for.

1: I updated the ports tree following the instructions of freebsd wiki

2:  I recompiled the kernel following the instructions of freebsd wiki:
cp /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/BASTION /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/BASTION2
vim /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/BASTION2
added option MSDOSFS_LARGE

cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=BASTION2

make installkernel KERNCONF=BASTION2
reboot

3: uname -a:
FreeBSD bastion 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #2L Mon May 21 00:30:39
PDT 2007 rem at bastion:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BASTION2  i386

4: iffconfig -a:
bastion# ifconfig -a

rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	options=8<VLAN_MTU>
	atalk 65280.205 range 0-65534 phase 2 broadcast 0.255
	ether 00:e0:18:8d:10:8f
	status: active
fwe0: flags=108802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> mtu 1500
	options=8<VLAN_MTU>
	ether 0a:00:46:29:6f:02
	ch 1 dma -1
plip0: flags=108810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
	atalk 0.0 range 0-0 phase 2

Also, I think my network card that shows up took the place of the
otherone, in other words, rl1 is now rl0 and rl1 is gone... I don't
know if that just changed cos it can't find the other network card.