notebook cpu throttling

Ghirai ghirai at ghirai.com
Mon May 21 22:23:14 UTC 2007

Hello Roland,

Tuesday, May 22, 2007, 1:12:10 AM, you wrote:

>> > You need to do three things (as root);
>>
>> > 1) Load the cpufreq module 'kldload cpufreq'.
>> > 2) Put 'powerd_enable="YES"' in your /etc/rc.conf
>> > 2) Start powerd: '/etc/rc.d/powerd start'
>>
>> > Roland
>>
>> Thanks for the hint.
>>
>> I did that, but now xorg constantly uses 20-30% CPU.

> That's a lot. Are you doing anything to make it work hard? Such a
> constantly high CPU usage is not normal, IMHO. Unless you're doing
> something wacky like running xearth or xlock on your root window.

> You can try to renice(8) the X server. That might make it less jerky.

> Roland

No, i'm not doing anything at all.

KDE loads up, and after about 10 seconds (of me doing
nothing), xorg starts to use CPU, without any reason
(and no HD activity).

I tried it a couple of times, every time the same.

I renice-ed it, no use.

Are there any alternatives to powerd?

Also checked logs, nothing at all.

Oh, and thanks for your time :)