Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon May 21 14:45:10 UTC 2007

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 09:49:49PM +0200, * ** wrote:

> Hello.
> idont know if this is right mail. nut i try anyway. =)
> im trying to install freebsd on my computer, but when the installation
> is finish and i should login. i type in my account name and password.
> byt then i only get to something that looks lika
> a terminal (i use linux now and it looks the same like
> a terminal there) but ofcourse i would lika it to look like a
> regular desktop with gnome ore kde, but i dont know
> what im doing wrong. i hope you can helt me.

This is normal.
FreeBSD does not automatically start a GUI environment by default.
It is command line oriented.   You need to install and configure
your choice of GUI environment.  They are all based on the X-windows
system.

First you install and configure X-Windows.  In FreeBSD that would now
be the system called Xorg.   The installation gives you an opportunity
to install X right when the system is installed.  You should select that.
But, then after installation, it still need configuring to match your
Graphics card and monitor, etc.
Check the handbook for detailed instructions.

Then you install and start up a X-Windows manager.  There are several
of them to choose from.   It depends on how you want to work and what
you are doing.    Gnome and KDE are popular amongst people who want
something like an MS Windows or MAC-ish environment.   Those are too
overblown for me since I mostly use a bunch of Xterm windows and only
occasionally something as graphic as a web browser.   I use Afterstep
which gives an environment somewhat reminiscent of the old NextStep
system on NeXt computers.   Other popular window managers are Xfce
and Fluxbox.    All are in ports at /usr/ports/x11-wm/

When you configure your window manager, you can also configure
it to start certain things when it first comes up.   I automatically
start certain X-terms for specific work and remote logins I need
most often, for example.

The last thing you need to do is configure how you will start the
window manager.   Usually you make it the one that will begin when
you enter the   'startx'  on the command line, but it can be set up
to launch upon login if you want.   You might not want that, though
because then it would always start on login and could get in the
way of some debugging other other system work.   That can be set up
on a per-user basis.

All this is covered in the manuals.   The configuration of X and
the setup of the window managers could be a little better covered.
Some trial and error may be in order.

////jerry