PPPoE equivalent?

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Mon May 21 07:25:50 UTC 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007 14:39:06 +0800
"Brian Walker" <bfwalker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf .... it has been "worked on" but so far
> seems to have been OK. As for regularly: it basically means several
> times a day for no reason that is apparent to me.
>
> default:
>         set timeout 180
>         enable dns
>         set log Phase Chat IPCP tun command
>         set redial 15 0
>         set reconnect 15 10
>
> internet:
>         set device PPPoE:rl0
>         set authname xxx at yyy
>         set authkey **********
>         set ifaddr 0 0
>         add default HISADDR
>         disable acfcomp protocomp
>         deny acfcomp
>         set speed sync
> #       set mtu max 1476
> #       set mru max 1430
>         enable lqr
>         set lqrperiod 5

I'd try to disable this:

  disable lqr

(with lqrperiod commented out, of course).

>         set cd 5
>         set dial
>         set login
>         set timeout 0
>
> /etc/rc.conf looks like this:
>
> keymap="us.iso"
> linux_enable="YES"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> usbd_enable="YES"
> sendmail_enable="YES"
> pf_enable="YES"
> pf_rules="/etc/pf.conf"
> pf_flags=""
> pflog_enable="YES"
> pflog_logfile="/var/log/pflog"
> pflog_flags=""
> ntpdate_enable="YES"
> ntpdate_flags="hk.pool.ntp.org"
> ntpd_enable="YES"
> devd_enable="YES"

You might consider adding these lines here:

  ppp_enable="YES"
  ppp_mode="ddial"
  ppp_profile="internet"

> Yes, it puzzles me why it happens in the first place, but as it hits
> the XP, linux and BSD connections equally frequenly, I am assuming it
> is a function of hardware or IP provider.

The Handbook explains what parameters can be tuned with the help of
your ISP. AFAIK tuning mru/mtu parametres can help.

Nikola Lečić