Random Restarts?

Edward Ruggeri ruggeri at uchicago.edu
Sun May 20 16:22:11 UTC 2007

Hi,

My system randomly reboots, usually in the evening.  It is definitely not
a soft reboot, since the filesystems don't get properly dismounted.  My
suspicion is that it is a heat related issue -- I do leave the computer
running just about all day long, and it has started to get warm.  Then
again, it's coolest in the evening...

I have looked at /var/log/messages, and there is nothing right before the
reboot of the system.  Is that proof this is a hardware and not a software
issue?  Is there any other log file or diagnostic that might confirm my
suspicions?

I'd rather not reset the heatsink, etc., if the problem is really
something else :)

Thanks in advance guys!

Sincerely,

-- Ned Ruggeri