SSH question (some kind off-topic)

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Sun May 20 02:37:31 UTC 2007

At 5:42p -0400 on 19 May 2007, Arvee Klesk wrote:
> Hi list. When a password is send (via a POP3 session without SSL,
> or without
> establishing a secure connection) it can be retrieved by the ISP, or
> somebody ahead, right. AFAIK, making an SSH session to a server and
> forwarding, for instance, port 110 (POP3) to the SSH session, or
> some other
> port / application, passwords and / or traffic cannot be retrieved
> as easy
> by proxy servers or sniffers.
>
> So my question is what happens in the SSH server then, the traffic
> can be analyzed on that side? Really I don't know what happens when
> traffic reach the SSH server and keep their way.

Sounds like your asking "How does ssh work?"  I'm not sure at what
level you're asking this question, but let me point you to a couple
of websites and perhaps you can figure out what you need, or come
back with a more direct question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-security/53254-how-does-ssh-
exactly-work.html

You might also Google for the keywords "trusting trust" and "Ken
Thompson"

HTH,

Kevin