customized strip down freebsd OS (less than 50MB)

bsenthil bsenthil at adventnet.com
Fri May 18 16:54:07 UTC 2007

   Thanks for all your inputs....
   Yea.. I downloaded miniBSD.tgz file and extract the same. A readme in
   the tgz which is not readable. It contains lot of scripts files...
   I don't know how to proceed...
   David Kelly wrote:

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 07:16:46PM +0530, bsenthil wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for mini freebsd customized OS (less than 50MB). Is it
possible to customize the freebsd to below 50MB?

The list of modules i run over freebsd OS
1. TCP/IP stack
2. package installation.
3. File read and write operation
4. Apache server

What is the minimum size of the stripped freebsd OS ?

In years past I got FreeBSD 4.4 down to about 10 MB. Then added Apache
on top, PHP, Perl, etc. Interesting that each was roughly another 10 MB.

Please let me know detail/link how to customize freebsd OS.

Start with a block of granite and remove everything that doesn't look
like your sculpture.

Believe I started with information found here:
[1]http://www.minibsd.org/download.php

I played with the FreeBSD build system and was building world in a
different location than stock, with compiler options special for a
bottom end Soekris board. Built everything dynamically linked that I
could, traditionally everything in /bin was statically linked.

Built ports chrooted in my new virtual world built above.

Used scripts originating with minibsd to cross reference runtime
libraries and application dependencies so that only the necessary
libraries were moved to my CF card. I kept a file listing all the files
I considered mandatory.

Had several Makefiles, one for each stage of the build. Started by using
"cvs checkout" to start with fresh source code.