Problems upgrading a 6.0 install to 6.2-RELEASE-p4

Mikhail Goriachev mikhailg at webanoide.org
Fri May 18 14:57:15 UTC 2007

Andrew Falanga wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Ok, here's the steps I was given to upgrade my 6.0 system to 6.2-RELEASE-p4.
>
> 1) cvsup /usr/src using the tags necessary (I was using RELENG_6_2).
> 2) cd /usr/src
> 3) make buildworld
> 4) make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
>      *here I actually used a different kernel because I had to add
> "options SMP" to the conf
>
> 5) make installworld
> 6) make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
> 7) reboot (and hopefully all is well)
>
> So, everything is great until step 5.  When I type "make installworld"
> I get, "ERROR: Required audit gropup is missing, see
> /usr/src/UPDATING."  So I got to take a look at that file.  There is a
> lot of interesting stuff there, but nothing about an audit group that
> should be present (at least a search for "audit group" returned no
> hits).
>
> What is this error talking about?  Which section of the UPDATING file
> should I read and follow to correct this?  I read, "When upgrading
> from one major version to another it is generally best to upgrade to
> the latest code in the currently installed branch first, then do an
> upgrade to the new branch."  Does this refer to an upgrade from, say,
> 5.1 to 6.2, or does this apply to 6.0 to 6.2 as well?
>
> I also see,
>
> To rebuild everything and install it on the current system
>
> make buildworld
> make kernel KERNCONF=.......
>
> <reboot in single user>
> mergemaster -p
> make installworld
> make delete-old
> mergemaster
> <reboot>
>
> Is this the procedure I should follow?  What is the correct path to go
> from here?

You really must read the following (or at least skim through):

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

and

/usr/src/Makefile

All correct instructions are in there and you shouldn't skip any steps.

mergemaster will take care of that audit group among other things.

Regards,
Mikhail.

--
Mikhail Goriachev