Setting locale information

Amarendra Godbole amarendra.godbole at gmail.com
Fri May 18 12:35:32 UTC 2007

On 5/16/07, Charlie Farinella <cfarinella at appropriatesolutions.com> wrote:
> I need to set locale values to en_US.UTF-8 system wide.
> Is /etc/login.conf the right place to do that?
[...]

>From my /etc/profile:
[...]
# For the setting of languages and character sets please see
# login.conf(5) and in particular the charset and lang options.
# For full locales list check /usr/share/locale/*
# You should also read the setlocale(3) man page for information
# on how to achieve more precise control of locale settings.
[...]

So yes, login.conf seems to be the correct place to set system-wide
language options.

-Amarendra