smartmontools on Compaq smart array fails

Nick Jagger nckjagger at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 22:18:50 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----

smartmontools isn't the appropriate program

you need to use a program called idacontrol

get it from ftp.jurai.net/users/winter/idacontrol.tar

More on PR i386/70482

Use smartmontools on ATA disks.  Your 360 uses SCSI disks
on a proprietary controller which doesen't support the interface
needed to run it.
-------------------------------

Thank you Ted, idacontrol works fine and returns some usefull information about the attached disk drives.

I also found this suggestion interesting:

#define IDA_QCB_MAX = 128 instead of 256

in sys/dev/ida/idavar.h

because one of my DL360's resets itself about once a month with a very similar error as mentioned in thread

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-scsi/2005-September/002034.html

ida0: soft error
ida_command: out of QCBsida0: ida_timeout() qactive 256
ida0: IDA_INTERRUPTS
ida0:   R_CMD_FIFO: 00000000
         R_DONE_FIFO: 00000000
         R_INT_MASK: 00000000