Newbie Question: Mail from from cron jobs...

Wed May 16 07:21:52 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Oliver Peter [mailto:hoschi at mouhaha.de]
Sent: 16 mai 2007 03:18
To: Jerry McAllister
Cc: Oliver Peter; Ian Lord; freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Newbie Question: Mail from from cron jobs...

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 05:38:15PM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 11:26:03PM +0200, Oliver Peter wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 12:26:36PM -0400, Ian Lord wrote:
> > >
> > > Where can I change the address root at localhost.mydomain.com to
> > > machinename at mydomain.com ?
>
> Look in the file /etc/mail/aliases
>
> You can alias root to go to your favorite address.
> Don't forget to run   newaliases(1)   after editing the file.
>
> Of course, doing this will mean that all mail to root will
> go to you.

Hhm. I thought the problem was that you would like to change the From:
of those e-mails not the To: ?

--
Oliver PETER, email: hoschi at mouhaha.de, ICQ# 113969174
"Worker bees can leave. Even drones can fly away. The Queen is their slave."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Exactly... I receive the emails since I correctly configured my aliases to
redirect all mails externally...

The problem I have is with the from...

Someone told me to change the hostname in rc.conf, that won't work since I
have 4 machines:

	Machine1.mydomain.com
	Machine2.mydomain.com
	Machine3.mydomain.com
	Machine4.mydomain.com

I want the mail from to be
root at mydomain.com not root at localhost.mydomain.com

Not too sure where to look into to fix this