Dell D610 touchpad configuration

Victor Engmark victor.engmark at gmail.com
Tue May 15 16:35:09 UTC 2007

On 4/27/07, Victor Engmark <victor.engmark at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm attempting to configure my laptop properly for X.org, and the only
> device which doesn't work properly now is the touchpad. The tutorials
> I've seen so far seem to assume that all touchpads use the Synaptic
> driver, but this is the information I get at boot time, and which I
> assume is the touchpad:
> $ dmesg | grep psm0
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> psm0: model GlidePoint, device ID 0

Finally, I got a working setup with both mice working at the same time.
Turns out I had to ditch the synaptics driver. In case someone else needs
it, here goes...

xorg.conf relevant sections (with #comments):
Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier     "Dell Latitude D610"
  Screen      0  "Dell Latitude D610 screen" 0 0
  InputDevice    "Alps GlidePoint Touchpad"
  InputDevice    "Dell USB mouse"
  InputDevice    "Dell Latitude D610 keyboard"
EndSection

# Don't load synaptics in the "Module" section

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier      "Alps GlidePoint Touchpad"
  Driver          "mouse" # Don'
  Option          "CorePointer" # This makes X.org startup fail if the
device can't be initialized
  Option          "Device"                "/dev/psm0" # This may be
different on other *nixes
  Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2" # Using "GlidePoint" gave
some weird behavior
# The following options are not mandatory, as far as I can see
  Option          "LeftEdge"              "1700"
  Option          "RightEdge"             "5300"
  Option          "TopEdge"               "1700"
  Option          "BottomEdge"            "4200"
  Option          "FingerLow"             "25"
  Option          "FingerHigh"            "30"
  Option          "MaxTapTime"            "180"
  Option          "MaxTapMove"            "220"
  Option          "VertScrollDelta"       "100"
  Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "100"
  Option          "MinSpeed"              "0.06"
  Option          "MaxSpeed"              "0.06"
  Option          "AccelFactor"           "0.0010"
  Option          "ScrollButtonRepeat"    "100"
  Option          "UpDownScrolling"       "on"
  Option          "UpDownRepeat"          "on"
  Option          "LeftRightScrolling"    "on"
  Option          "LeftRightRepeat"       "on"
  Option          "SHMConfig"             "on"
  Option          "Emulate3Buttons" "off"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier  "Dell USB mouse"
  Driver      "mouse"
  Option      "AlwaysCore"      "on"
  Option      "Device"          "/dev/sysmouse"
  Option      "Protocol"        "auto"
  Option      "Buttons"         "5"
  Option      "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5" # Scroll wheel

--
Victor Engmark
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - What is said in Latin, sounds