Unable to mount HDD - Newbie question

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon May 14 16:09:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 09:58:54AM -0600, Oscar Chavarria wrote:

> ls /dev/da0s1
> /dev/da0s1

Again, please do not top post.   It makes it very hard to have any
idea what you are referring to.     The entire context of the
conversation gets lost.

In this case, what do you mean?
You just did an ls of a file name and found that it responsed
with the file name.   That is normal.   So, what?

Try doing ls /dev/da0s*  and see what you get.

Secondly, nowdays, the devfs system only makes devices that are
in use and makes them on the fly.   I haven't dug around in that
since the change since it was changed from the old MAKEDEV system
so I may be wrong, but I would not be surprised if /dev/da0s1d was
not there until after things were fixed up.

So, try the fsck as Mikhail suggested  -- with the partition name.

////jerry