Problem updating Freebsd ver 6.2

WizLayer wizlayer at gmail.com
Fri May 11 05:46:32 UTC 2007

On Thursday 10 May 2007 11:24:31 pm Simon Castillo wrote:
> Hi all:
>
>    I installed Freebsd ver 6.2 couple months ago in a Pentium III computer.
>  I configured samba, gnome and couple other applications.
>
> Couple days ago I decided to update the ports.  For this I use portmanager
> -u -l (after updating the port list).
>
> After the update, I starting having problems with my samba server and my
> gnome is no working anymore.  After digging in the logs and found this
> error that seems to be the root cause:
>
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libgnutls.so.13" not found, required
> by "libcups.so.2"
>
> I started reading the blogs and mailing looking for a solution.  So far
> what I tried was: - Update gnutils (based on
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS_Setup) - Uninstall and reinstall
> gnutils
> - Update ghostscript
>     - Remove ghostscript-gnu and keep just gpl version (one of the blogs
> says that this is the latest one) - Uninstall cups
> - Reinstall cups
> - Reinstall samba
> - Re-run portmanager update
>
> Up to know, I was unable to kill this error and, in consequence, my samba
> server is not working.
>
> Does anybody could help me to fix this problem? I don't know what else to
> do.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Simon

I could be wrong as I haven't used portmanager in a while (and that was only a
short time)...  I believe that by default, portmanager doesn't update
dependencies more than a depth of 1 (maybe two?) unless you use the -p flag.
Then it updates dependencies all the way back?  A quick 'man portmanager'
should verify this as I don't have it installed anymore.

HTH,

WizLayer

--

Life is better with a BSD.