Another slightly OT q...

usleepless at gmail.com usleepless at gmail.com
Tue May 8 21:22:34 UTC 2007

Gary,

On 5/8/07, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 09:16:11PM +0200, usleepless at gmail.com wrote:
> > On 5/8/07, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
> > >
> > >	Hey Guys,
> > >
> > >	Does anybody have any websites where I can look up the latest
> > >	in compression technology?  I've got a very thin ISDL link
> > >	so pulling streams over is like looking at postage-stamp images.
> > >
> > >	There were whispers about fractal-compression as being the golden
> > >	goal, but I can't find much about this one.  Anybody have any
> > >	clues here?
> > >
> > >	thanks up front,
> > >
> > >	gary
> >
> > see: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Sloot
> >
> > about the " Sloot Digital Coding System". great stuff.
> >

> 	Danke.

that seems to be German, in Dutch "Bedankt" would be appropiate. i
appreciate the effort though.

> I found the english wkik entry so I could understand the
> 	piece.  Since Sloot is dead, no way of knowing.

actually there is. the Dutch wiki-article has much more detail about the case.

this Sloot guy claimed he could compress any movie into 1kb ( 1024
bytes ). he stored this 1kb movies on smartcards, which he would feed
into his magic machine to show the movies.

in The Netherlands there was press-coverage about this, and he was
able to attract investors and even a ( up to then ) reputable IT-guru
assiocated with Philips to back him. they found silicon-valley
investors who were interested.

he died / killed himself / was murdered before his hoax could be uncovered.

sounds a lot like the perpetuum mobile stories.

> But this is the
> 	kind of leap forward that would save, oh, a few measley
> 	$Billions.  And give millions of us faster and broader access.

good luck!

regards,

usleep