CVS release tag for current patched release

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun May 6 18:50:20 UTC 2007

On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 01:40:32PM -0500, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> The short version of my question is whether the cvs tag RELENG_6_2
> refers to the latest on the 6.2 STABLE branch or the 6.2 RELEASE Branch.

It refers to the latest on the 6.2-RELEASE branch.

To get the latest from the 6-STABLE branch use the RELENG_6 tag.

(There is not really any 6.2-STABLE branch, just a 6-STABLE branch from
 which all the 6.x releases get branched off. The term 6.2-STABLE just
means: "The 6-STABLE branch at any point in time after 6.2-RELEASE but
before 6.3-RELEASE")

> The background (somewhat long winded) to the question and why I'm
> confused follows.

[snip]

> Finally it might help me if I knew where the term "RELENG" came
> from.  Things like "RELEASE", "CURRENT" and "STABLE" all make sense,
> but "RELENG" doesn't seem to have some human meaning (well, not to
> this human at least).

I believe RELENG is short for "RELease ENGineering".

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se