make Buildworld fails...why?

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Sun May 6 17:36:50 UTC 2007

Mark Stout wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to upgrade a 5.4-RELEASE to 6.2-RELEASE and having a bit of
> a problem.
>
> Downloaded and untar's the source files for base, catpages, dict, doc,
> games, info, manpages, proflibs, and src directories per INSTALL.TXT in the
> releases/.../src directory after backing up my local /etc and /usr/local/etc
> directories.
>
> I've tweaked the GENERIC kernel config file and renamed is RADIUS2
>
> While in /usr/src I did a 'make buildworld'.
>
>   I do okay until I get to "stage 2.3: build tools".  There I get to the
> following error when compiling make_hash.  Can anyone help me determine why
> this is failing?  Were my upgrade procedures
>
> Thank you,
> Mark Stout
> VPM Global Internet Services, Inc.
> 530-626-4218 x205 Office
> 530-626-7182 Fax
> 530-554-9295 VoIP
> 916-240-2850 Cell
> www.vpm.com

Generally speaking the best supported upgrade path across major
version numbers is from the last release of the older version to the
first of the newer, which in your case would mean upgrading from 5.4
-> 5.5 -> 6.0 -> 6.2

Is there any particular reason you aren't using cvsup/csup to update
your source tree?

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel