Anyone dual booted freebsd/vista yet?

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Sat May 5 00:09:20 UTC 2007

On Friday 04 May 2007 16:01:38 Jeff Palmer wrote:
> At 03:26 PM 5/4/2007, Jonathan Horne wrote:
> >Has anyone successful configured a freebsd/vista dual boot, and if so, how
> >did you get around this issue?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >--
> >Jonathan Horne
> >freebsd at dfwlp.com
> >http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org
>
> Jonathan,
>
> you may want to search the archives.   I posed this same question a
> while back,  and then found a working solution.   It involved getting
> rid of the freebsd boot manager,  and migrating to grub 0.94
>
> Jeff

well, i hate it when this happens, but somehow i fixed it, but i have no idea
what i did to eliminate the problem.  unfortunatly, my methods were not very
scientific, and i didnt bother to test after each step i took.  things i did
that could have been the fix:

1) inserting the vista install cd, and letting it run thru a repair session.
it went kinda quick, and i didnt pay close attention to what it was doing,
but it appeared to know exactly what the problem was and what to do.  after
this, i am 95% positive that it booted back into vista without pausing at the
freebsd loader (ie, had restored the original bootloader).  unfortunatly, i
cant say for sure.

2) as i was installing the gag per recommendation, this ended what appeared to
be successfully, but in the end, i didnt have gag.  i was back at a working
freebsd loader, and it now boots into either freebsd or vista without any
complaints at all.

*scratches head*

oh well, ill take it.  :)
--