Anyone dual booted freebsd/vista yet?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Fri May 4 20:47:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 02:26:58PM -0500, Jonathan Horne wrote:

> Well, I setup my laptop to dual boot freebsd 6.2-p4 and vista.  It was
> actually an XP/freebsd at first (installed XP, then installed freebsd).  The
> normal boot loader worked exactly as expected.
>
> So, upgraded the XP to vista, which seemed to go perfectly normal.  Got
> everything the way I wanted it, and then popped in my 6.2 cd and rebooted.
> Went to fixit console, and did a
>
> Fdisk -B -b /boot/boot0 /dev/ad0
>
> Rebooted, booted into freebsd fine.  Rebooted again, hit F1 for DOS, and
> kaboom.  Winboot.exe is missing!
>
> Has anyone successful configured a freebsd/vista dual boot, and if so, how
> did you get around this issue?

My first question is where does Winboot.exe normally live?
Somehow, with a .exe extension, it doesn't sound like an MBR or
boot sector issue, but rather one that shows up after the MS-V
booter starts running.    The boot doesn't normally execute files
by name at that low level.    Enough of the system has to be
there to deal with a OS specific file system.

I haven't played with Vista yet (ain't in any hurry either, but it
will probably eventually happen), so I suppose they might now write
something down there where most systems (including MS) only use block
addresses and not file system tables/links.   But, if not, then writing
a FreeBSD MBR should not make any difference.

So, that is why I am wondering where they are expecting to
find Winboot.exe and who is expecting to find it.   I presume, since
you installed Vista first, that it is first on the disk (other than
any vendor installed diagnostic slice).   If not, that might cause
a problem.

////jerry